The Athenaeum is a biweekly magazine / almanac, a fortnightly gathering of philosophy, religion, puzzles, language, spirit, meditation, inner landscapes, art, magic, manifestation, weather… There are 26 fortnights in the year, and 26 letters in the English alphabet. This is issue Z of 2008.
In this issue:
- Three original articles:
- Meeting the Dream Master. Who is the Dream Master? Easily told: he is the Sandman — the one who brings dreams. He is your guide through the one third of your life you spend asleep. In this interview / meditation, I ask him what sleep is for, how dreams work, and the relationship between sleep and death.
- Mapping the Inner Landscape. My personal landscape in meditation has been consistent for a couple of years now. Why is it arranged the way it is? Insights into spiritual development.
- The Coligny Calendar. A description of the Druid lunar / solar calendar from 2000 years ago, and musings about how life would be different if it were in use today.
- Word Puzzle
- Letter of the Fortnight: Z
- Almanac Information: holidays, moon phases, weather, etc.
- Two Words of the Week: SHOE and SNOW.
- Original Art.
- And more!
A few notes:
- I am considering offering subscriptions to the Athenaeum – for example, 26 issues (a full year) for $70, 13 issues (6 months) for $40, something like that. The Athenaeum would be emailed directly to you, so that you don’t have to download and pay for it every two weeks. If you’d be interested, let me know via the Contact Form.
- It has been brought to my attention that the last Word Puzzle was unreasonably difficult. I’ve tried to make it easier by making some of the clues more obvious, and by organizing the puzzle so that there are longer words with more crossings and fewer abbreviations. Let me know how it goes!
- Also, if you would like the answer to the previous word puzzle, let me know via the Contact Form.
- The Athenaeum is a time consuming labor of love. I cannot keep it going unless I receive more donations. But it won’t take much! If every subscriber to this blog donates just $1 — JUST ONE DOLLAR! — it will completely compensate me for my time, and make it possible for me to continue putting out the Athenaeum every fortnight, indefinitely. It will also allow me to spend more time writing, developing, and improving Druid Journal. Nothing would make me happier! So please do consider donating.
Thanks! And enjoy!
- Athenaeum 2009:B: Confirmation Bias, a Knack for Magic, the Anima and the Sidhe
- Athenaeum 2009:A: the New Age Glossary, Interview with Pele, How to Meet Difficulties
- Meeting the Dream Master
- Announcing Druid Journal Meditation Blog
- On the Druid Path to Alban Elued, the Autumn Equinox
- Live Deeply II: the Pagan Calendar 2011
Subscribe Via Email
Sign up to receive Druid Journal posts directly in your inbox, and never miss an article. Philosophy, spirituality, insight, inspiration, meditation, connection, nature, and the ancient world.Click here to subscribe.