What is an athenaeum?
Athenaeum (noun). Originally it’s from Greek Athenaion, “of Athena”, borrowed into Latin and then into English around 1700. It first referred to Athena’s temple, and the teaching and performance rehearsal that was done there. (Pronounced ath-en-EE-um.)
Spiritually, the sounds of athenaeum tell a story of Source energy that travels a path of trials and challenges, and empties into a relaxed pool; then is gathered up, narrowed and targeted, raised in pitch and intensity, and then released once more, resulting in magic.
This is the energy of learning, germinating, teaching, and the new manifestations that follow.
The Druid Journal Athenaeum is a biweekly magazine / almanac, a fortnightly gathering of philosophy, religion, puzzles, language, spirit, inner landscapes, art, magic, manifestation, weather… All for the low, low, LOW price of [donations gratefully accepted!]. Each issue of the Athenaeum will include:
- Three full Druid Journal articles. This issue has:
- Barack Obama’s Astrological Reading. A complete analysis couched in terms of Steve Pavlina’s Truth / Love / Power system — an in-depth look at Obama’s heart, mind, and soul. What manner of man is this new president?
- Dealing with Anger and Fear. Musings on the sources of fear and anger, and what to do about them.
- Becoming Death. A landscape meditation unlike any I’ve had before.
- A Word Puzzle of a new kind — an unholy union between a crossword puzzle and philology.
- The Letter of the Fortnight. There are 26 letters in the alphabet, and 26 fortnights in a year. This issue, for the 25th fortnight of the year, is brought to you by 25th letter of the alphabet: Y.
- Almanac information. Two weeks of holidays, weather, etc., just like last year’s Druid Journal Almanac.
- Two Words of the Week, in the tradition of the Word of the Day.
- Original full-color art, in the Druid Journal style.
- AND MORE!
Like everything else I offer, the Athenaeum is available for a donation of any amount. I have set the default donation at $3.50, but in accordance with the principles set out in Selling Salvation, please pay whatever you think is fair. If you can’t pay what you think is fair, please pay what you can. If you can’t pay anything now, please take it for free — I’d much rather you read it free, than not at all!
If you’re not sure whether you want it, then by all means simply download it for free and take a look. You can always leave a donation later by clicking on my “DONATE” button in the sidebar.
I had a real blast putting this together, and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And I hope it’s a huge success, so I will have an excuse to do it again in two weeks’ time…!
- Athenaeum 2008:Z: the Dream Master, Mapping the Subconscious, and the Druid Calendar
- Athenaeum 2009:B: Confirmation Bias, a Knack for Magic, the Anima and the Sidhe
- Athenaeum 2009:A: the New Age Glossary, Interview with Pele, How to Meet Difficulties
- Announcing the DJ 2008 Almanac & Planner of Nature and the Ancient World
- Beltane 2008: Scattered Blossoms
- Announcing Druid Journal Meditation Blog
- Finding Purpose and Direction Through Compassion
Subscribe Via Email
Sign up to receive Druid Journal posts directly in your inbox, and never miss an article. Philosophy, spirituality, insight, inspiration, meditation, connection, nature, and the ancient world.Click here to subscribe.